Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 Reviewed
A mountain bike can be the perfect way to escape the day to day life in the city and allow you to explore more of the natural beauty and scenic views that this world has to offer.
For many; a mountain bike offers a whole new lease of life to your world and allows you to do more and open your eyes to new places.
The importance of investing in a good mountain cannot be stated enough as this is a bike which will be with you in some of the more dangerous terrains of our world.
To ensure that you find the right mountain bike for under $500 our team here at Cogmag.com have hand picked and reviewed our favorite options for you.
But can you buy a mountain bike for under $500? Well, today we are going to show you through five different options which are all affordable and all safe to ride on those rough terrains.
We trust that you will find the right option for your unique needs and expectations down below, and be sure to consider all factors before making your final selection. So without any further hesitation let’s jump right into our our first bike!
Check Out Our Favorite Mountain Bike Under $500
Top Mountain Bike Under $500 Comparison Chart
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500
The Schwinn S29 is a mountain bike created for men and has a sleek and sturdy design suited perfectly to trips through rough terrain.
If you are looking to get into mountain biking and are wondering what your options are – this is a brilliant choice as it offers a sturdy and strong frame which will weather any storm and last you for years to come.
Stopping power is a huge factor to consider when you are buying yourself a mountain bike and this bike is one which has some powerful brakes. Whether you are on a flat surface or a steep incline this bike is designed to brake strong and fast to allow you to stay as safe as you possibly can in the countryside.
For the perfect mountain biking experience it is important for you to think about the tires and how much support they can give you on rocky terrain.
The tires on this bike have been designed to be rubbed for better grip on the road and are sturdy but flexible to allow movement in the ground below without a problem.
If it is important for you to be able to change your speed throughout a bike ride you’ll be pleased to know that this bike has 21-speed trigger shifters to allow you to ride at any pace you want with ease and efficiency.
- Schwinn aluminum dual-suspension frame with a front suspension fork and rear shocks for ultimate bump absorption and durable trail riding
- Frame – 18” Medium | Suggested rider height – 5’ 9” to 6’ 2” | Chain size – 1.5” x 3/32 with 110 links | Tire size – 29 x 2.0 | Brake type – Mechanical
- The 21-speed shifters with derailleurs are perfect for a wide gear range and smooth shifts
- Schwinn alloy triple cranks and 7-speed freewheel combine to supply the right gearing at all times
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes provide crisp stopping and steady speed control on descents and extra wide double wall alloy rims wrap around 2.1-Inch wide knobby mountain tires
The second offering on our list today is the Hiland Gamille Women’s Mountain Bike. This is one which is designed specifically for women meaning that it is a sell frame and allows for comfort and practicality for the smaller female form.
The frame of this bike has been designed to look modern and sleek and provide a strong sturdy ride for women on their travels. Wherever you decide to travel, this bike is ideal and will keep you safe on your travels.
One of the very useful features of this bike has to be the suspension. When riding in the mountains on uneven terrain it is all to easy to be battered by the surface below and be thrown around on our bikes.
This bike however is the ideal choice for mountain biking because it has a lock-out suspension fork that keeps the bike steady and allows for smooth riding.
When riding a bike somewhere such as the mountains it is important that you have the option to change speed as you go to suit the steep path or the terrain. This bike does not fall short here and has a whopping 24-speeds to choose from.
It means that no matter where you are riding and how, you have the perfect speed to ensure the most smooth drive.
One of the great features of this bike and one which makes it a popular choice for newbies is that it is 85% assembled when it arrives at your door. This means you don’t have to spend hours trying to put together every little piece of your bike and instead only have to put together those final pieces when you bring it home.
- The special geometry of the frame was designed for women.Special upper tube and small frame are more suitable for female cycling
- The brake system consists of double disc-Brake. And 24-speed Shifters ensures total control in every situation.
- The 27.5-inch wheels and Lock out suspension fork make for a great ride experience on mountain roads, highways, and forestways
- 85% pre-assembled,easy to assemble,free pedals,required assembly tools included.
- The 16-inch frame is suitable for a person 5'1-5'9 tall. The 16.5-inch frame is suitable for a person 5'3- 6'tall.
The Mongoose Impasse is the next bike on our list and this is a brilliant entry to continue with. This mountain bike is ideal because it is suitable for any rider and is sturdy and strong to provide the best possible biking riding experience.
Rough terrain is commonplace in the countryside and it is important for a mountain bike to be able to withstand the pressure of ever changing terrain.
The Mongoose is the perfect choice for a ride in the mountains because it has a strong frame to allow for sturdiness and longevity even in the harshest of places.
With a strong set of knobby tires on this bike, you won’t have any trouble keeping grip on the roads and trails and you’ll be able to avoid bouncing around too much when off the beaten path.
With a 21 speed derailleur, this mountain bike allows you to shift gears easily during your trip and find the perfect speed for you wherever you decide to go. This wide range also means it is the perfect bike for many different types of rider and will suit any riding style.
With alloy wheels as well as front and rear brakes – this bike is safe and sturdy and will ensure that you feel safe on the path as you ride through the countryside. Quick response brakes will ensure you never tread too far and that you always have the ability to stop safely.
- Aluminum suspension frame maximizes comfort & performance
- Element suspension fork smooths the bumps and increases control
- 21 speed rear derailleur with SRAM twist shifters changes gears easily
- Alloy wheels with quick release front
- Alloy front & rear disc brakes
The Outroad Mountain Bike is a mountain bike that has been designed to be perfect for both adults and teen riders.
Whether you are a teenager buying your first ever mountain bike or a seasoned adult looking for the next affordable model, this is the ideal choice and has everything you could need.
The first thing to note about this bike is the multipurpose tires it comes with.
These tires are not only ideal for riding in rough terrain in the mountains but they also work on the roads to give you a seamless transition when you are riding from the city to the country and visa versa.
With 21-speeds in this vehicle you can change and adapt your riding experience as you go and this is another one of the features that makes this an ideal choice for those of you who may be a little younger.
With a tough and strong steel frame – this bike has been made to last and will be able to withstand even the harshest weather conditions without rusting or weathering. A steel frame like this is a must for a bike that will be used out in the wild.
This bike comes with 80% of it ready built for the most convenient choice when it comes to a mountain bike. Instead of worrying over confusing instructions you will only have to add the final touches and your bike will soon be ready to go.
- ✔Free pedals, rear fender and comfortable seat include in packages. Recommend Rider Weight: 200 lbs, Rider Height: 5.2' - 6.0'. Choose the genuine product-the frame is printed with "OUTROAD" logo.
- ✔26-inch Wheel 17-inch Frame 3-Spoke fashion rims more light and easy to drive. You can shuttle on the road or in the mountains quickly!
- ✔21 Speed: Allow you to switch through the gears very quickly with your finger tips, so you can quickly select a gear for every terrain. Enjoy different speed cycling experience, like a wind chaser.
- ✔Please identify the pedal L/R logo Correctly install the pedal. Adjust the seat height, brakes and transmission according to the instructions. Note: the handlebar height is fixed.
- ✔Easy Assembly: Assemble the remaining 20% by yourself. Includes all the tools you need for building and maintaining your own bicycle. Any problem pls feel free to contact us.
The Huffy Hardtail Trail Mountain Bike is the last our our under $500 list today but it is by no means the least. This bike is one which marries sleek design with practically seamlessly allowing you to enjoy a stunning bike that is also brilliant on all terrains.
The oversized tires on this bike have been designed specifically to provide you with plenty of grip on the road as well as on rocky or muddy paths. This means that even when you are riding in the rain up a steep incline you will have plenty of grip and will feel safe on your bike.
The tires also allow for easy movement and will provide you with a smooth ride even on the bumpiest terrains.
The alloy frame of this bike has been designed to be sleek and stunning but also to be practical and lightweight. It will allow you to carry your bike when you need to without being too heavy or chunky and provides a helpful option for portability. If you want to use this bike for more than the mountains you will be able to.
A great suspension has to be the most important factor when looking for a mountain bike. The last thing you want is to feel every little stone and bump in the road as you are riding up the side of a mountain!
The design of this bike and the suspension fork evens out these bumps in the path and will provide you with something that is much more comfortable to ride and easier to handle too.
Huffy is a company that has been around since 1892 so if you want a bike which is by a trusted and reputable brand then you need look any further for the perfect choice. This company is a trusted one in the industry and actually still produces its products just a few miles away from where the company was founded in Ohio.
- Scroll down for an assembly video; attack trails and combat terrain on the mighty Huffy Exxo, a ruthless ride in military green; this exclusive is ideal for ages 13 and up and a minimum rider height of 5 feet
- The lightweight aluminum hardtail frame is backed by our limited 10-year warranty (see owner's manual for details); Aluminum (much lighter than steel) provides more rolling momentum so it's easier to pedal for speed and acceleration
- Promptly draw on 21 speeds on-demand for uphill climbing, downhill riding, or pure acceleration with the indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur and micro-shift twist shifter; suspension fork absorbs bumps for a better ride
- Knobby 26" X 1.95" tires bite into dirt and gravel paths with ease in wet or dry conditions; alloy linear pull brakes with machined alloy wheel rims provide smooth stopping power; premium padded ATB saddle has stitched sides for quality
- Slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to minimize back and shoulder strain; ATB-type resin pedals on the 3-piece crank have responsive feel; Kraton grips remain comfortable to the touch on long rides; kickstand included
Top Mountain Bike Under $500 Features To Consider
Choosing the right bike for you can be a huge challenge and we know that there are a lot of confusing features to choose from when researching your bike.
This is why we want to just list a few of the top priorities you could be looking for when searching a mountain bike that works for you this year.
As we have mentioned a few times above – the suspension fork of a mountain bike is important because it stops you from feeling every tiny imperfection in the road or the path you ride on. If you want to have a comfortable ride and avoid hurting your bum or your hips – a smooth ride is essential and should be one of the first things you consider.
Tires are the only part of a vehicle that has contact with the ground and therefore choosing a bike with great tires is important for you this year. Consider choosing a bike which has knobby tires and ones which are expanded and thick. Not only will the knobs on a tire help keep grip on the floor but the thickness will provide more surface area and keep your bike stable on the ground.
Whether you are an avid biker or not it is important to know that the speed of a bike is important and can vary massively from rider to rider. If you want to have a bike which is suited perfectly to your own ability and riding style you need to ensure that your bike has enough speed options. This is why mountain bikes with 21 or 24 speeds can be the most popular as they will suit anyone as well as any style of riding.
When looking for a mountain bike to bring home it is important to consider the frame and how sturdy it is. As a mountain bike rider it is more important than ever for you to invest in a frame which is sturdy and will keep you safe even in the harshest of conditions.
A bike frame needs to be strong enough to support your weight as well as not to buckle under impact and this is where a sturdy frame is important.
As well as the strength of your frame you also want to consider the material. An alloy frame is ideal because even after you have been cycling in rainy and muddy conditions you will not suffer with rusting of bolts and screws.