Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Motorcycle Hitch Carriers Reviewed
If you own a dirt bike, scooter or a motorcycle then there’s a good chance you’ll want to transport it sometime in the future.
Perhaps you’ll be hitting the road in your motorhome or truck travel trailer soon and want a quick and easy way to mount and transport your motorcycle. Maybe you just want to take it with you on a little vacation to the country where you can enjoy it to its fullest.
A great solution for transporting your motorcycle would be a hitch carrier.
We here at Cog Mag have experienced the value that these handy pieces of equipment have to offer. They easily allow you to mount your motorcycle on to the back of a car, pickup or RV so you can conveniently drive it around with you.
They don’t take up much space, they’re easy to install and perfectly safe to use while also being secure enough so you don’t need to worry about someone stealing the bike off your hitch carrier.
A hitch carrier can be a vital piece of equipment for any number of reasons, so we’ve put together reviews of five different hitch carriers that we can highly recommend. For those looking for the quick answer, check out our rating chart below. For the rest, read on!
Check Our Our Favorite Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
Best Hitch Carrier Comparison Chart
Best Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
1. Versahaul VH-SPORTRO Motorcycle Carrier
First on the list is the Versa Haul VH-SPORTO Sport Bike Carrier. If all you’re looking for is a compact, sturdy and durable hitch carrier, then the Versa Haul is a brilliant option for the price.
It’s very easy to put together and can easily be dismantled should you no longer need to carry around your motorcycle. The included retractable tie-down bars are great for keeping your motorcycle still during transmit, and they work well provided that you secure them tightly.
The hitch carrier is actually surprisingly portable thanks to how easy it is to dismantle and carry around. This means that you can easily remove it from your vehicle if it’s not in use and you can store it away without taking up too much room in your garage or storage area.
It also comes with a variety of accessories such as reflectors to ensure that you can be seen when driving in darker conditions.
Versa Haul VH-SPORTO Specs:
- Fits any Class III or IV hitch
- Powder coated finish for a great-looking hitch carrier
- Can easily be stored away when not in use
- Compatible with wider tires
- Includes a ramp kit for easier loading
- Retractable tie-down bars for more stability during transit
- Carries approximately 600 lbs
- Includes reflectors and anti-tilt lock bracket
It can carry approximately 600 lbs, but we found that as you approach this maximum weight, the Versa Haul does feel a little less sturdy due to the overall weight of the bike. That’s why we can’t recommend this carrier if you’re at or over 600 lbs, but anything below that and you’ll find that the hitch carrier is very sturdy and doesn’t move at all even with your bike mounted on it.
The Versa Haul is also compatible with wider tires, making it a great option if your motorcycle has a wider rear tire for stability during wet conditions.
Overall, the Versa Haul is an excellent hitch carrier that can hold a surprising amount of weight. The included accessories are nice and there isn’t much to complain about with such a well-rounded product that simply just works.
2. Goplus Motorcycle Carrier
The Goplus Motorcycle Carrier is a surprisingly affordable hitch carrier with added features like a mounting ramp, adjustable wheel stop and very good durability. The entire thing is made from powder-coated steel which gives it excellent reliability. The steel is impermeable so you don’t need to worry about rust affecting it either.
The carrier can support bikes up to 600 lbs, and we found that this is mostly accurate and you can expect to transport bikes at this weight with little to no trouble regarding the stability of the carrier.
It comes with quick release locks so that you can fasten the bike for extra stability and even includes reflective tape so that your vehicle can be seen from behind.
Goplus Motorcycle Carrier Specs:
- Steel construction for excellent durability and strength
- Impermeable steel means you don’t need to worry about rust
- Can support up to 600 lbs
- Included mounting ramp for easy loading
- 2 quick release locks that fasten the bike to the ramp for extra stability
- Adjustable wheel stop
- Powder coated finish that looks fantastic
- Comes with reflective tape
- Simple assembly
We found that the Goplus Motorcycle Carrier performs particularly well on rough terrain thanks to all of the extra stability it offers your motorcycle. With quick release locks and a wheel stop, your bike will be perfectly stable as long as you stay within the speed limit and don’t do something ridiculous like speeding over bumps and hills.
In conclusion, it’s a brilliant bike carrier that does as advertised and comes with plenty of useful features and accessories to keep your motorcycle secure and safe.
3. TMS T-NS-MRC001 Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
The TMS T-NS-MRC001 Hauler is more designed for dirt bikes and lighter motorcycles, but it’s still a formidable transport option that many people prefer over the regular ramp-style hitch carriers. This is because it’s lighter, it’s a more elegant system and tends to offer more stability thanks to it holding the motorcycle closer to the vehicle itself.
Thanks to its roots as a dirt bike hauler, the TMS T-NS-MRC001 works perfectly even when it’s smothered in mud, wet or under any harsh conditions that you can think of.
TMS T-NS-MRC001 Specs:
- Installs onto a Class II, III or IV hitch
- Mainly used for dirt bikes up to 500 lbs
- Easy jack mechanism to lift and stabilize your bike for transportation
- Only takes a single person to load
- No tie-down straps needed
- Clean design and made from durable materials
- Can work even under harsh conditions like mud and rain
- Includes hitch stabilizing pin
Lifting the bike up onto the arm is also very simple, and can be operated with a bottle jack. And unloading couldn’t be simpler.
It’s designed to be used by just a single person so you don’t need to worry about asking a friend to help you load the bike onto the back of your vehicle.
To conclude, the TMS T-NS-MRC001 might not be able to carry as much weight as the other motorcycle hitch carriers, but it’s still a fantastic option for anyone looking to transport a lighter motorcycle such as a dirt bike.
4. Trackside Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
The Trackside Motorcycle Carrier is a simple no-thrills motorcycle carrier with a couple of useful features that give it some advantages over the competition. For instance, the anti-tilt device seen on the Trackside carrier isn’t seen on other competing brands, so it’s a great hitch carrier if you’re worried about your bike rocking around during transport.
It does require quite a few tie-downs and wheel traps, but it’s all in the name of keeping your bike secured while driving.
Trackside Motorcycle Carrier Specs:
- Compatible with Class III and Class IV trailer hitch
- Anti-tilt device to improve stability during transit
- Included ramp makes it easy to carry around for transportation and storage
- Powder coated steel for a fantastic look and durability
- Front tire placement can be adjusted with the wheel track carrier bolt
- Suitable for motorcycles up to 500 lbs
- Requires a minimum of four tie-downs and two wheel straps
- Can be loaded and unloaded from either side
- Maximum tire width of 4.75 inches
It’s made with a powder-coated steel to give it good durability, but it also makes the carrier look the part. The entire carrier is very easy to set up and it can also be disassembled and stored away if you don’t plan to constantly transport your bike around. It does have a maximum weight limit of 500 lbs, so make sure your bike is well within this weight limit before you purchase this.
Overall, it’s a brilliant carrier that does its job and is durable enough to be worth a recommendation.
5. Black Widow MCC 600 MotorCycle Carrier
The Black Widow MCC 600 motorcycle carrier is a heavy-duty carrier that supports a whopping 600 lbs and tires up to 8 inches wide.
The extra-long ramp also means that you’ll have an easier time loading and unloading your heavy motorcycle, so this is the perfect carrier for anyone with a superbike or if they want to ensure their bike remains stable during rocky transport routes.
Thanks to the powder-coated steel construction, you can expect this carrier to last a very long time. However, if you accidentally exceed the weight limit, then the carrier is at risk of bending which will drastically reduce its lifetime. The package also includes reflectors for night time use and also a wheel chock.
Black Widow MCC 600 Specs:
- Suitable for Class III and IV trailer hitch
- Heavy duty hitch-mounted motorcycle carrier
- Wheels up to 8 inches wide
- Support for motorcycles up to 600 lbs
- Extra-long loading ramp that can be stored on the carrier
- ⅝” hitch pin
- Anti-rattle mechanism and adjustable wheel chock
- Durable powder-coated steel construction
In conclusion, the Black Widow MCC 600 is a fine piece of kit that will serve you well if you’re looking to transport your larger bike. Just make sure that you don’t exceed the 600 lbs weight limit and drive safely to ensure that your bike remains stable.
Hopefully, this article has helped you in making an informed purchase decision regarding your motorcycle hitch carrier. It’s an important piece of kit for anyone that plans to move their motorcycle around in the future and it’s important to invest your money into a solution that offers security and ease of installation at an affordable price.