Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Bike Trailers Reviewed
Bike trailers are a great option to carry more luggage or kids along, but not to feel weighted.
It’s great for shopping or family bike rides if you have smaller kids.
However, some cheaper bike trailers are a little lacklustre in their performance, leading to a loss of money and even security.
That’s why our team here at cogmag.com has hand selected and reviewed the top 5 best bike trailers for kids in today’s market, so you can can spend less time scouring the web for unsolicted opinions and more time riding with your little ones .
Inside a quality bike trailer made for kids, there should be a comfortable and safe space, with two well-designed seats and seatbelts. Also, suspension and folding systems that will facilitate the use of the equipment when moving. It has suspension, as well as security elements.
However, cheaper brands often compromise on some of these elements which means that you could be compromising on safety. You want your money to go far but investing in quality will allow you to have peace of mind and a product that lasts much longer than just a few weeks.
As an initial element of your comparison of bike trailers for children, we find the design. In this case, we have to pay particular attention to the number of wheels on the trailer, which makes a notable difference both in whether the product is economical or not and in its usefulness.
In the case of two-wheel models, we are talking about somewhat more compact products that can generally only be used with the bike properly hooked up.
Finally, we talk about the hitch, which is another important element in safety. This coupling to the bicycle must offer the necessary security and resistance to keep the trailer always attached to the tractor head so that we prevent the involuntary loss of the trailer with the consequences that this may have. It is not usual but it can happen.
Cheaper models may not have such high visibility and could easily wear and tear, therefore it’s important to look at some of the best products on the market today to ensure that you are purchasing something worth it.
Check Out Our Favorite Bike Trailer for Kids
Top Bike Trailers Comparison Chart
Best Bike Trailer
Schwinn is known for its high quality products, and this bicycle trailer is no different. It is very easy to hitch.
Large wheels ensure a comfortable and fast ride on the road, as well as the maneuverability needed to overcome any bump in the road. There is plenty of storage space for your belongings at the rear of the trailer and in addition, it is easy to disassemble and fold with a unique folding frame and quick release wheels.
The interior is spacious so that your children will feel safe inside during your travels. It is sturdy and can attach to almost any bicycle which adds to its versatility. It protects from the elements, and is complete with 16 inch air-filled tires and molded rims for extra comfort.
This smooth ride is great for upto two kids and can withstand around 52lbs. It boasts a 5-point safety harness that will keep your children very safe. Plus, the bicycle trailer is equipped with a safety flag to let people know you’re there. It weighs in at a very light 25.8lbs.
- Handy stroller kit (handle and front wheel) conveniently turns trailer into a stroller for walks or jogs
- Unique folding frame and quick release wheels pack up neatly for compact storage and transport. Steel frame construction
- Universal coupler easily attaches to almost any bicycle for added versatility; one-time installation
- Two-in-one canopy has bug screen and weather shield for protection from the elements; 16 inch air-filled tires with molded rims provide a smooth ride
- Holds two kids up to 40 pounds Each and an additional 12 pounds of convenient storage for whatever else you need
This trailer weighs in at 24.5lbs and is incredibly light and airy.
It comes in a selection of four colours for added visibility and looks great. In addition to its elegant design, the trailer is not lacking in safety. It is perfectly made, and you will be able to transport your little ones without worries thanks to its reliable construction and its protection against poor weather conditions.
With air ventilation in the back, it also stops the children from overheating during hotter months. You have the option to choose between one or two seats, you can get the trailer exactly for your needs.
The large molded wheels will allow you to travel comfortably and therefore the suspension is positive and allows for a smooth ride. This trailer can be attached to most bicycles and it is also very easy to fold down following usage.
The holes in the rear corners of the trailer can be a bit annoying as your child might lose some toys or other items but other than this it is very safe and secure.
If you do not have a lot of space or who want to take their trailer in a smaller vehicle then this is a good option. All in all, this is a wonderful trailer, which you will be more than happy with and of course boasts the safety features that every trailer needs.
- Take your children along for the ride with the InStep Quick-N-EZ double tow-behind bike trailer carrier.
- 16-inch pneumatic tires with molded rims provide performance, safety, and timeless style. A five-point harness ensures your riders are protected in both tow and stroller mode.
- The folding-frame design and quick-release wheel make for quick and easy assembly, storage, and transport.
- Designed to protect your child from the elements, a 2-in-1 canopy features both a bug screen and a weather shield with rear vent window.
- This tow-behind child carrier fits most bike styles. The maximum weight limit is 80 pounds (two 40-pound children) with an additional 12 pounds in the rear storage area. Some assembly is required and this trailer comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
Clevr is another company that has succeeded in making a bicycle trailer that offers a high level of style. This is due to the large wheels, which are attached by a push button, making them very easy to assemble and disassemble.
It’s compact and user friendly. It also offers great protection to the harsh outdoor weather and unpredictable circumstances as well as protecting from wind and UV rays.
Its safety features and swivel front wheel also help make it a popular trailer.
In addition, the suspension allows you to ride smoothly over many types of terrain so it is still comfortable for the children as well as the biker.
It is therefore perfect for all those who wish to make regular long journeys for their cycling adventures. The bicycle trailer can be folded flat so you can transport it in the car easily.
While it may be a bit more difficult to take apart than some of its competition, the adjustability is impressive, and you will soon master its operation. It weighs in at 88lbs.
- USE AS A BIKE TRAILER, STROLLER OR JOGGER - The convenient 3-in-1 design converts into a bike trailer, stroller, or jogger. It has a removable pivoting front wheel, great to use around the neighborhood, zoo, park, amusement park, sidewalks or trails. (Note: BIKE TRAILER FEATURE WILL NOT WORK ON A QUICK RELEASE BIKE)
- FOLDABLE - The strong steel frame assembles to fold flat for storage and transportation. In order to fold, the handlebar, safety knobs, and safety pins need to be removed. There is a push pin on the back of the frame to remove the rear wheels.
- BIKE HITCH INCLUDED - Universal bike hitch to rear axle included so you can use it as a trailer. The front wheel needs to be removed when using as a bike trailer. The trailer will remain upright even if bike tips over.
- PROTECTION & SAFETY - The top plastic cover, mesh window and tinted side windows provide protection in many weather conditions. Reflectors are included on all four sides of the trailer and on the rear wheels for extra safety.
- EXTRA LARGE CARGO AREA: Children will fit comfortably with room to spare. Double seat with two sets of seat belts for two kids. Max Weight Capacity: 88 lbs. Suggested Minimum Child Age: 18 Months. Search CRS802609 to purchase attachable cup holder storage bag.
The new Bee Bicycle Trailer by Burley is the entry-level model and offers great comfort for the little ones. Rain cover, insect screen, tinted side windows and an ergonomic backrest turn long rides into a comfortable ride for up to two children and plenty of accessories.
It is spacious and has UV resistant windows which makes it perfect in the summer months.
It also includes StVZO approved lights and reflectors to make it even safer when there is less visibility on the road.
It has safety at the forefront of its features, as well as being comfortable and will happily seat 1-2 children. It’s max load is 45kg. It folds down easily and to a compact size which makes it great for storage. It comes complete with its own cycling kit.
It has a full internal aluminum cage for crash protection Hammock style seat provides passive suspension for rider comfort Heat treated tubes and 6061-T6 aluminum frame hinges Steel hitch included wheel guard for protection against unforeseen obstacles side slats create structured barriers between wheels and passengers. A safe option for all.
- sport type: Cycling
The best Homcom Elite bicycle trailer for children, is a trailer, a stroller and a Jogger that is designed to transport 2 children, with good stability, great load capacity and very good value for money.
It boasts 2 front and 2 rear reflectors, 1 reflector on each wheel and a highly visible safety flag. It comes in a range of four different colours to suit styles, preferences and enhance visibility.
Its steel structure is light and resistant that it supports up to 90lbs, more than other similar trailers. It also has enough space for 2 children to travel safely and comfortably.
It also features a lockable 360° swivel front wheel and a full suspension system on the rear axle for greater control and stability, thereby providing more rear comfort for children.
Thanks to its large rear wheels and the suspension built into them, you can roll smoothly on uneven terrain. It is sturdy and safe.
The added disc brakes allow you to slow down, which can be handy if you are out on the trails. The weight of this trailer is 32lbs, a little heavier than others mentioned but it does make up for it in sturdiness.
- ✅SIMPLE AND CONVENIENT: Take your child jogging, biking, or walking conveniently and easily with this 2-in-1 jogging trailer.
- ✅2-IN-1 DESIGN: This can be used as a child stroller that you push as you run, or it can be attached to your bike for a cycling adventure.
- ✅SAFE AND SECURE: Includes a sling seat with a 5-point safety harness and removable canopy to help protect from sun, rain, or debris.
- ✅SPACIOUS AND OPEN: Seats 1-2 children or groceries and supplies, up to 88 lbs., making bike travel with cargo easy and convenient.
- ✅AMPLE STORAGE: A large storage space behind the seat is perfect for diaper bags, toys, beach gear, or groceries.
Top Bike Trailers Features To Consider
Security is a fundamental aspect and it is worth noting that all of the above mentioned do focus on safety.
Security is also important when it comes to visibility as well as how sturdy it is on the back of a bike.
In this aspect, the key is to bet on products with bright colors and that have reflective and safety elements that allow the trailer to be seen properly.
Seating & Space
It might seem like a simple factor to consider, but it’s worth more than a second of thought. If you only have one child, a one-seater bike trailer will make sense, but if your family is a bit larger, you might want a two-seater trailer.
You shouldn’t just buy a bike trailer and assume that it will be perfect for your kids. You have to pay close attention to the capacity of the trailer, which will be called “maximum load”, i.e. the total weight it can support. What are you needing and how many kids do you have?
Just like safety, having a child bike trailer that offers comfort to your little travelers is also important. For this, the interior must be spacious, adapted to the ages recommended by the manufacturer of the product.
This interior must be protected from humidity and inclement weather, but it must also provide the necessary ventilation to prevent fumes and breathing from thinning the interior air of the trailer excessively.
Something that is achieved with a suitable mixture of breathable material and protective plastic. A very important element to achieve greater comfort is to have suspension in the bicycle trailer for children, since this suspension absorbs a good part of the bumps in the road, helping to improve the stability of the trailer and the bicycle while riding. Your children won’t complain!
Type of Fixation
Although it may not seem like it, this is something very important. There are two ways to hook the trailer to the bike and it will depend on the model we buy.
On the one hand, we have the trailer attached to the seat post. The coupling and uncoupling of the trailer are more complicated, although as advantages we have better maneuverability of the set and less suffering of the structure of the bike as the point of attachment is more centered.
On the opposite side, we have the trailer with a hitch on the rear wheel axle. It is usually done with a quick block axle, so putting the trailer on and off is easy fast. However, we lose maneuverability and the bike suffers more, and you want to have your bike last as long as possible too.
Weight & Maneuverability
You must also search for a trailer that will be able to take the weight you add to it. Look for better weight distribution so that the weight no longer falls on the rear or front wheel along with that of your body, but a third wheel is dedicated solely to supporting it and freeing the others.
A good trailer will not stress your bike and will allow for better pedaling when standing up too. When standing up on a bike with saddlebags you have to be careful as you cannot sway much. It should also lower the center of gravity.
As the load goes level with the ground on the trailer, we lower the center of gravity, which helps the stability of the whole bike. Search for a lightweight and easy to maneuver trailer that is safe and secure for a great family biking experience, time after time.